I tested baking soda as a deodorant this summer and in this post I'm going to let you know the results.
First of all, you should know that I sweat A LOT. If I skipped deodorant for a day I would stink.
Here is what I did:
-I showered the night before I went out and applied baking soda generously on my armpits and went to sleep. I did NOT reapply it in the morning and I wore a tank top so my armpits were bare.
The temperature that day was above 30°C and I stayed outside for 5 hours.
When I returned home my armpits didn't smell at all. It was just a slight sweet smell. You could barely sense it. And I swear that it lasted a little more than 40 hours. I was very surprized because my expectations were very low.
BUT, when I tried BS two more times it didn't work. Here I'm going to tell you why and give you some tips:
- Apply the BS on cleaned armpits.
- Let it sit until the area is completely dry and don't do anything that will make you sweat during that time. -This was the mistake I made. After applying BS I started blow drying my hair. But when I applied it at night and went to sleep it worked perfectly fine.
- Wear white cotton T-shirts underneath your clothes. -Even if you're using regular deodorant wearing cotton is the best choice, because other fabrics transform the smell and make it much worse than it actually is. My armpits wouldn't smell that bad, but the cloth on that area would stink badly. Also BS won't stain the white shirt.
- If you sweat because of stress and anxiety BS is not going to work. It didn't work for me in the days that I was stressed.
- It will remove the residue on your armpits caused by deodorants.
How to use it :
The application is very easy. Just wet the BS with water and rub it on your armpits.
Warning: Those with sensitive skin should test BS on their skin first, because it can be irritating.
2.Coconut oil + Baking soda.
You are going to need :
a) 2/3 cup Virgin coconut oil ( when it is liquid it's clear in color)
b) 1/4 cup Baking soda
(Many people add arrowroot, cornstarch and essential oils to the recipe ,but I don't know how it works with these ingredients. Essential oils with anti bacterial properties are a good idea though.)
-First, melt the oil and then add bs. Take a small container and put plastic wrap around it(because it's easier to take the mixture out after it solidifies.) Put it in the fridge or let it solidify in room temperature.
You can directly use it on skin.
-Another method is to whip the coconut oil and then mix it with bs. Apply it with your fingers. Make sure you've washed your hands first.
You can chose whichever method you prefer.